My Hifdh Journey

Introduction

In 2013, on 13th September my life took a monumental turn. A decision that changed my life forever. That shaped me into a person i never intended to be, a person dissimilar from many of her age and kind. After years passed, it all changed to a better beginning. To lead a life of peace and contentment after dealing with many calamities, i have decided to share my story with you.😊

Twists and Turns:

I have witnessed several changes in my life. Some were major while others were not so dominant. But the most extensive transition that has taken place in my life, that has altered not just mine but my family's lives as well has been the decision of me and my siblings becoming part of the class known as the Hufaadh. Now let me give you a brief information on what was my vision regarding Hifdh back then. I had met many hufaadh, but unfortunately none of their journeys intrigued me towards learning the Quran, or maybe i never talked so deeply about it. I thought that memorizing the Quran was an impossible task. You have to read long surahs with long ayahs and then recite it aloud to your teacher, Oh no i can't do that man. Not my type you know. My mother had told me ' Khadeejah, you will memorize the Quran one day'. Uhh Okay? i said. Though i had this in mind, but was not prepared at all. Anyways, on 13th September, i went to this institute, well more like a home institute and watched the students reciting the Quran. The scene caught my heart, and i was determined to memorize the Quran by myself. 

Lets do this!

I started learning the Quran, each day increasing the amount of lines i memorized. Within a week my first accomplishment was that i memorized a side. Let me emphasize 'side' for you. A page has two sides, and when we count how many we are about to recite and read we call them 7 or 8 sides, whatever the desired quantity is. I still remember how delighted i got whenever i finished another surah from the last 4 parts. 
Actually the first time i was introduced to memorization as an idea of me adapting the practice was when i memorized Surah Rahman by attending a Sunday School. I don't know how or why i was drawn to the idea of me becoming a hafidha after believing many controversies regarding memorization. The sound of recitation was so soothing, as if it woke an individual inside me. A person who was desperate to connect with this atmosphere, with the divine message sent from Allah. 
Each day, i would take the Quran pen, play the surah i was learning at the time and stick it in my scarf which would cover my ear. And with the other hand on my temple i recited aloud not caring if my intensive voice would disturb others. After i completed the last 4 parts (siparas), i was eager to memorize further because it was time to start learning the long Surahs. I only knew of Surah Al-Baqarah which now i count it as a guilt that i was not aware of the surahs in the book that has been sent to us by Allah, a guideline for us to follow. 

Challenges and Objections

Each day was a challenge for me. Several times i got bored and frustrated when i couldn't perfect my sabaq and cried and chose not to learn more but i just couldn't give up. Each time a motivation awakened the real me, it dragged away the evil temptation to leave the sacred task which was given to me by Allah. You might think that i am exaggerating the sensations that i felt but trust me this is an absolute truth. There were days i didn't want to learn and there were days when i didn't want to stop. Two polar opposite versions of me. I remember the nervousness i felt when i was about to take a test, my teacher would recite a few ayahs and i was supposed to continue. After the first test i was confident enough to take more tests because it helped us to perfect our memory of Quran. 
Once, my father asked me to complete Surah Al' Imran in the minimum amount of days i could and to everyone's surprise i finished it in four days. But here's the casualty i had to suffer through, it took me around three months to perfect the whole surah since i didn't payed enough attention and effort into the memorization. That was the first and the last time, because i learnt my lesson.

Commitment

A year had passed by, i was taking everything at a slow pace. Four months were equally wasted due to holidays of Ramadan and Eid, and in winter we had guests for almost two months at our home. My friend and i had started our memorization in the same year only, she had memorized the first 6 parts already while i hadn't. Both of us have challenged each other, who would be the first to complete the Quran?
I was chilled out, 'Man, i'm not too far behind, she's probably taking it slow like i am. We'll see.' And one day in the first week of February, a message came in. She had completed her memorization. I was shocked. She kept it a secret? Though i was beyond happy for her and we celebrated the occasion, i made a promise to myself. 'Khadeejah its time for speed'. As if i was electrified with a serum of motivation and keenness to hit the milestone of becoming a Hafidha. I kept my promise and did the best i could.

I removed all the sticky notes from my Quran, which we used to highlight our sabaq, sabqi and manzil. Anybody could easily figure out how much i have learnt through it so i threw the sticky notes away (lol)
Powering myself, i went to my mom and told her that i had only 9 parts left. 
"I won't accept your memorization, unless you recite each and every side to me" Mom dropped the bombshell on me. My jaw dropped on the floor with fury and dissapointment building inside me. But i knew that without any proof i can not tell anyone that i have become a Hafidha now. Accepting my mother's demand, i prepared myself not to have any entertainment and to keep my concentration resolute only on Quran.

I woke up, without any breakfast i took my Quran and started reciting aloud. Each day my mom would make breakfast, dinner and tea and would sit beside me. My only activity in those days was to read and recite. My Father and my brothers did not create any disruption so that i may not be disturbed. It was a pleasant weather, spring was about to approach and i wore my thin sweater and scarf, sat beneath the window which reflected the sunlight and featured the words of Allah in a golden effect. 
I would read constantly, taking small breaks in between. The maximum amount of parts i completed in a day was 1 and a half. I memorized the new surahs i had not learned yet, and recited my manzil as well. Simply, i revised the whole Quran. The only thought that would occupy my mind was to finish my memorization. My friends kept questioning me 'How many surahs have you memorized?'. And i only smiled in return. After days and days of devotion, on 10th March, i was sitting with my mom on the sofa when her phone started to ring. It was my teacher, i held the phone in my hand and said 'She's gonna ask about my memorization, please don't answer yet'. My mom silenced the phone and i continued to recite. Later, probably two hours after the missed call from my teacher, there was only one side left. I was seated on the bed with my mom, my father and brothers were standing around us. As i recited the last side, as i read each line my heart beat got faster, at each word my mind started to get hazy. I recited the last line, and released a warm relieved breath. It all felt surreal. I did it. I am a Hafidha now. I couldn't believe my eyes and ears. It was fascinating. We called my grandparents to break the news. It was an unbelievable moment, i had passed the test, i carried out the first accomplishment of my life. It felt as if i was on the top of the world. I couldn't sleep the whole night out of excitement. The next day was a surprise for me at my institute. We celebrated the day, had lots of fun. Talking, blabbering here and there. I can never forget that day. It was the most exhilarating moment of my life.
Never had i felt such honour and blessed. 
But it doesn't ends there. The journey of becoming a Hafidha was completed. Now i was one step ahead. And life awaited for me with challenges.

Blossoming of the Adventurous Soul

It is obvious that our life can not be as peaceful as we suppose it to be. Mine has been the same. I was now a part of the Hafidhas Club (metaphorically). We were given tests, a bunch of surahs we would revise and the teachers would analyze if we had put any effort to perfect our Quran. It was a memorable period of time. After a few years our institute was closed and we head onto our own ways.
Memorizing the Quran was not just a degree or an education trial that i passed. It affected me as in person in many forms. In a decent manner ofcourse. 

I have realised that by becoming a Hafidha, i have benefited from many opportunities and have allowed me to judge myself. It has bolstered me to be make a difference between wrong and right. It has shaped me into a better person. Molded my understanding, carved my thoughts and modified my lifestyle. I reformed my aims and goals. My vision changed. I perceived things, incidents, every single aspect of life distinctively. In simple words, I transitioned thoroughly.

I was drawn to learn more about the Religion and its laws. Compare Science to the Quranic Miracles. I developed interest in History because of it. I started wearing the Hijaab, and wore it as an honour. I believe that me being chosen by Allah to memorize the Quran is a blessing. Not everyone is chosen to carry such a responsibility. Hufaadh are the group of people who are appointed by Allah to carry the words of Quran in their heart. They are the companions of the Quran who shall keep it safe by memorizing it and reciting it their whole lives. The reduction of hufaadh after the war against apostates during the caliphate of Abu Bakr (r.a), was the reason for the Quran to be compiled as a visual book. Although the Quran is available in a book form for us to read, Allah has given us the glad tidings through Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w) of the rewards for the Companions of Quran who would recite it with honour and memorize it by the intention of pleasing Allah. 
A Hafiz means 'The Protecter'. Hafidh-ul-Quran are the protecters and the bearers of the Quran.

There are several Hadith regarding the Merit and Reward for Hifdh. Ahadith that invited me towards the idea of Hifdh.

It is narrated by Abdullah ibn Amr that the Prophet (s.a.w) said "It will be said to the companion of the Quran "Read, advance in status and recite like you used to do in the world, for your status will be commensurate with the last ayah that you recite" (At Tirmidhi - 2914)
Another hadith has been narrated by Abu Hurayrah, he said "The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w) said 'The Quran will come on the day of resurrection like a pale man saying to its companion ' Do you recognise me? I am the one who made you sty up all night and made you thirsty during the day...then he will be given dominion in his right hand and eternity in his left, and a crown of dignity will be placed upon his head, and his parents will be clothed with garments which far surpass everything to be found in this world. They will say 'Oh Lord, how did we earn this?' It will be said to them 'Because you taught your child the Quran" (Al Tabraani in Al Aswat - 6/51)

The Quran contains ayahs regarding every single aspect of our life. My favourite three are the ones that gave me hope in times when i was on the verge of giving up on life. These ayas saved me, my worldly life and my hereafter. I may not have been Alive today to tell you this story if i hadn't memorized the Quran. And Alhumdolillah, this is my most ethical accomplishment. I wear this title with honour and dignity. An identity that represents us as the carriers of the Quran. 
Through this phenomenal journey, i have learnt many lessons. Have witnessed many changes, favourable and atrocious both. I am grateful to Allah that because of our connection with the Quran, i am not obsessed with the current ongoing practice of liberalism. I am happy and content with my perception and chosen way of life. Now i revise the Quran, and discover unique miracles every time. It is filled with pearls and gems for us to benefit from.
In sha Allah, i pray that Allah gives all the hufaadh, the opportunity to carry out this responsibility in the best way possible and reward them abundantly for their efforts. If any of you find it difficult to memorize, yet is determined to do your best to please. Then In sha Allah you will be rewarded double of what the rest of us will get.😊

I hope that this encourages you all to take a step ahead, it may not be easy to memorize, but your efforts won't go in vain and you will get the reward in this world and the Hereafter. May Allah allow all of us to keep the Quran safe in our hearts till the day of resurrection. Ameen!

(I know this was quite long but please don't forget to read the funfacts!) 
p.s: No, i won't be bragging about anything, just wanted to share everything:)

Fun Facts! (Things i found amusing in my journey)

1. I completed my memorization in 1 and a half year.
2. I memorized almost 15 parts in 1 and a half month, hence it is proved that we all are able to do anything if we have the will power.
3. I started my memorization from the second last side of Surah Hashr and ended it on the second last side of Surah Hajj.
3. I was unable to recite with my own rhythm of recitation because i memorized with the help of a Quran pen.
4. My favourite Qari is Abdur-Rahman As Sudais, since i learnt most of the Quran with his recitation.
5. I didn't memorized the 30th part specifically, my brother used to recite it aloud and because of that it all stored in my subconcious.
6. The most difficult surah for me to memorize was Surah Isra.
7. The most difficult ayahs for me to memorize which took days to perfect were the ayahs regarding inheritence.
8. I learnt the actual stories of the Prophets through the Quran.
9. I never got any punishment and never got beaten for not memorizing perfectly, even though it is the typical method in our country.
10. I was the first Hafidh in many generations of my Paternal Family.
11. I have learnt with several teachers and friends of mine who have helped me to complete my memorization of the Quran.
12. I still have my mushaf from which i memorized. Many people change their mushaf but i didn't. It holds the memories and the emotions. Also it's the one possession that i have which is extremely close to my heart.

Well, My loves thats it! I hope you liked the article, and if you did kindly do comment and share it with others. JazakAllahkhair!

💖A special thanks to my parents, teachers, brothers and friends whom have helped and stood by me through this whole journey. Lots of Love and prayers for all of you!

Comments

  1. Ma sha Allah la quwatta illah billah ❤... May Allah swt accept it and Grant you the best of his deen and dunia... Yes it was and still yet a emotional moment of our lives... Lots of prayers and power to you 💞

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to read your article, keep going !

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a really pleasant read mashaAllah! May Allah accept your effort. Ameen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Khadija, your article was very inspiring and helpful for me as I am planning to start my hifdh journey, lots of duaas from me for sharing this incredible journey with us and providing an honest image of hifdh :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Post